Mountain Valley Baptist Church
Tuesday, October 17, 2017
Reaching more People for Christ

Church History

 1915- Present

The people of Mountain Valley realized a need for a church in their own settlement, due mainly to bad road conditions and lack of transportation other than horses and wagons. On January 31, 1915 a group of ministers and deacons from neighboring churches and some people from the settlement met in a little log cabin at the Pearson Graveyard for the purpose of organizing a church. Thus Popular Springs Missionary Baptist Church came to be. 
 
The newly organized church received 14 members who came forward to join by letter from other Baptist churches. The congregation continued to meet in the little log cabin from January 31, 1915 until November 23, 1919.
 
As the congregation grew they saw the need to build a new building. In June of 1917 they began construction. The first meeting was held in the new building on November 23, 1919. The new building served as a house of worship for 14 years. 
 
 In November of 1932 the Poplar Springs Church body met and decided, once again, they needed a new building. The need this time, along with continued growth, was one of convenience since the mountain road had been moved from in front of the church to its current location.
  
The church membership of 47 active members moved into the new building just north of the Bell Creek Bridge in June 1933. At that time it was decided to change the church’s name to Mountain Valley Baptist Church.
 
God continued to bless the church and in 1962 the church held its first Vacation Bible School. Mountain Valley has held VBS in June every year since.
 
In 1967, the church members decided to start a building fund for a new church building because of the continued growth of the church. In 1968 the land was purchased and in 1972 construction was completed. On November 26, 1972 the first regular worship service was held in the current church building.
 
 
 
In the fall of 2012 the Lord again provided additional land for future growth and expansion.  Through the years the Lord has continued to bless our church. We are thankful for His continued blessings and excited as He leads us into the future.